Pages - Menu

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Five "Shirt into a Skirt" Ideas

As I was rummaging through my closet this morning, trying to decide what to wear on this cold day, I ran across a pair of fleece lined leggings. They seemed so cozy and perfect for today's weather. The only problem was, the only skirt I had to wear with them was too big because of all my weight loss this year.

I hopped on Pinterest and searched for "DIY no sew skirt." A ton of pins came up with everything from drawstring skirts to t-shirt skirts. The t-shirt idea seemed easiest and really inspired me. So I went into my closet and started looking through my shirts to see if I could come up with any ideas. I tried on about 8 different shirts and 5 of them looked good!

From experience, let me suggest that if you are a curvy girl, it may be best to slip the shirt over your head and arms instead of trying to step into it... The basics: You just roll up the collar of the shirt around your waste until it is the desired length and then tuck the sleeves into the part that you rolled. Once you put a shirt or cardigan over it, you can't even see the little bit of extra fabric.


My first try was with this tunic shirt. This is the one I've been wearing all day and I'm here to say that it stayed this way without a problem!


My second try was this light weight, sparkly black sweater. I was pleasantly surprised by the results! Because of the stretchy material, it was easy to put on and tuck into the right shape.


Next I decided to try something without sleeves. I found my sweater vest/tank topish thing (I'm actually not sure what it was originally designed for, but I use it to layer over button-ups). I really like the look and it was an added bonus not have to deal with tucking sleeves in anywhere!


 Fourth was a cardigan. I was not sure how I would like it with the buttons going down the front, but I actually don't mind the buttons. If I was going out somewhere, I probably would not pair it was another cardigan on top though. All those buttons look a little funny to me, but with a solid top, I think it would be cute!


Lastly, I grabbed my poncho. I thought the asymmetrical fabric might give a cool look. It's harder to see in this picture because of the black, but I felt cute in the outfit! It was definitely something different from all the other looks, but still very fun.

This was such a fun way for me to invent new looks without having to pay a cent or spend time sewing anything! I'm sure you have some unique things to try in your closet, so I hope you were inspired by this post to have some fun and try on some different looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment