Pages - Menu

Monday, November 4, 2013

Flu Shots - Jello Style


Grass-fed gelatin is one of our household's newest discoveries. It is incredibly healthy and consuming it can help  a wide variety of physical issues. As you can see in the picture, we buy the Great Lakes brand, as recommend by the Weston A. Price Foundation.

We have been adding it to our bone broth and making jello with fruit juice, but I was curious what else could be done with it. So as always, I turned to trusty Pinterest. One of the ideas that stood out to me was a natural home remedy and immune booster: Jello Flu Shots. I know, a funny name right? It certainly catches your attention though, huh?

I am always looking for more natural remedies and ways to boost our immune systems so that we can avoid putting extra junk in our bodies as much as possible. In my experience, the natural remedies more often work better than the over the counter medicines anyways!

There are many variations possible with these Flu Shots and the original author lists many here. Most people know that echinacea is an immune booster, but did you know that cinnamon and ginger are too and that they both are great for calming an upset stomach? Knowing this, here is the combo I came up with.

What you need:

2 cups 100% apple juice
2 cups hot water
3 tbsp grass fed beef gelatin
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 echinacea tea bag
1 cinnamon stick
soup pot
glass pan


Put your tea kettle on to warm up while you grate the teaspoon of ginger. Combine the apple juice, cinnamon stick, and grated ginger in a pan and heat at a simmer.


Once your tea kettle is hot, pour two cups of boiling water over the echinacea tea bag and let steep for 10-15 minutes.

Pour the tea into the pan with the juice mixture and let simmer for a few more minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and take the pan off the heat. I decided to leave the grated bits of ginger in the mix for an added boost.

Slowly pour in the gelatin while mixing with a whisk.


Pour the mixture into a glass pan (I used 9x13 and they came out quite thin) and refrigerate for a 2-3 hours, or until firm. 

I then cut mine into squares and transferred them to a quart size mason jar. My allergies have been going a little crazy with the intense weather changes we've been having in Nevada for the past week and I woke up with a bit of a sore throat this morning. I grabbed two of the jello squares this morning and had them with my breakfast. They were very soothing on my throat. So not only will they boost immunity and help with nausea, they are also good on a sore throat!

No comments:

Post a Comment