Pages - Menu

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sweet Potato Hashbrowns Recipe


Since finding out that I'm allergic to potatoes, I've definitely missed them! I was so happy to find out that sweet potatoes, which aren't even in the potato family believe it or not, do not cause a reaction in me. I've been able to substitute them in almost all ways I would use a regular potato. One of those ways is to make hashbrowns.

I've had to tweak and re-tweak this recipes until I found a method that did not result in a burnt crisp. Apparently, sweet potatoes burn in the pan quiet easily! I've tried both grated and small chopped versions. I've yet to perfect a grated version. This small chopped version turns out great as long as you don't walk away from the stove (trust me, I know from experience...). I like to have a little bit of crispness on the outside and I discovered that tossing them in a little bit of corn starch helps greatly!

What you need: (1 serving)
3/4 cup Sweet Potato (diced into cubes)
1-2 tsp Corn Starch (organic or non-GMO)
a bit of cooking oil (preferably Avocado Oil or Corn Oil)


Dice up your sweet potato and toss with the corn starch till everything is coated well.

Heat your oil up in the pan. Make sure its pretty hot or else the hash will be very oily. I throw in one cube of sweet potato to test it. If it makes a nice sizzle right away, the pan is ready.

Throw the sweet potato into the pan. I turn mine about every 30 seconds for the first 2-3 minutes to make sure they don't burn and that everything gets evenly cooked through.

Once all the pieces seem soft, allow them to sit a bit longer between turns. This will allow them to start crisping and getting a bit of color. I highly recommend not walking away from the pan because they will burn easily and quickly.

When they have reached your desired crispiness, they are done. I cooked mine for about 10 minutes total.


No comments:

Post a Comment