Pages - Menu

Friday, February 28, 2014

Grain-free Granola Recipe

One of the things I've really missed since cutting out processed foods and most grains is cereal. I just love sitting down with a bowl of cereal or granola for an easy breakfast. I started to wonder if I could come up with a way to substitute nuts and other things to make my own version of granola. Sure enough, there are tons of variations on grain-free granola. After looking at several recipes, I made up my own to fit my tastes and what I had on hand.

I also like to soak my nuts in a water/salt solution for 6 hours before I get started with this recipe. Then I dry them part way in the oven on warm for about 8-12 hours. By only letting them dry partially, I get a chewier granola. There are several benefits to soaking your nuts and this post explains them. I follow the recipe for Crispy Nuts from the Nourishing Traditions book.


What you need:
3 cups Nuts (I usually use a variety: Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans, Cashews)
1 cup Dried Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1 cup Dried Fruit (I've used Cranberries and Apricots)
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
1/4-1/2 cup Honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
Pinch of Salt


Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Use a blender, bullet, or sharp knife to chop the nuts. I use the grain/nut grinder on my nutri-bullet and blend up about 1/2 cup at a time. I try to leave a few medium-big pieces here and there.

If you want to chop your dried fruit into smaller pieces, do it at this point (I just throw them in the blender right after the nuts).

Combine nuts, fruit, chia seeds, and dried coconut in a bowl and mix.

Melt coconut oil and mix honey in with it. You want the heat from the oil to melt the honey and form a thin liquid. If it wasn't hot enough, melt on the stove or in the microwave.

Once the thin liquid has formed, pour it in the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.


Pour mixture on to a parchment papered (or greased) cookie sheet and spread to all corners until you have an even layer.


Bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool, it will harden a little. Break up with your hands as you place it in an airtight container or ziplock baggie.

One of the things I love about this is that it is so customizable! You could use chocolate chips, any variety of seeds, vanilla, all kinds of different fruits, etc. What flavors would you like to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment