Pages - Menu

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Countdown to Thanksgiving - Clean Eating Cranberry Sauce with Grass-fed Gelatin

As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I love the Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce! It's on my table every Thanksgiving and I can't imagine eating the feast without it. The problem is...it's not exactly healthy. And it certainly does not fall into the clean eating category. Therefore, I set out to concoct my own recipe, hoping to come up with a very similar, but healthy alternative.


I knew I wanted to use grass-fed gelatin because of all its healthful goodness! And I definitely wanted to use real cranberries, not just cranberry juice. I also thought I could sub out some of the sugar for organic, unfiltered apple juice. Here's what I came up with:

What you need:

2 - 12 oz bags Fresh Cranberries
2 1/2 C Organic Apple Juice
2 C Water
Honey to taste
1-2 Tbsp Grass-fed Gelatin
Soup Pot
Strainer
Whisk
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Large Bowl

Start by pouring both bags of cranberries into the soup pot. Add water and apple juice to the pot.

Bring to a low boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes. You want the cranberries to burst and become very soft.

Put strainer over large bowl and pour cranberry mixture into strainer. Press the cranberry pulp until you've gotten all the juice out. It should yield about 3 1/2 cups of juice.


Taste juice to see if it is at your desired sweetness. Mine was extremely tart still at this stage despite the apple juice. I ended up adding 6 tablespoons of raw honey to the warm mixture, tasting in between each tablespoon until it reached the right ratio of tart and sweet.


Whisk gelatin into warm cranberry juice. For a soft set, use 1 tablespoon of gelatin. For a firm set (like use in a mold), use 2 tablespoons. If the whisking creates a lot of foam, skim it off the top and discard.

You can either pour it into a bowl or a mold. If using a mold, grease them before hand. I wanted more of the softer set, but still put the sauce in 4 wide mouth jelly jars. They take up less room in the fridge and that way I can open one at a time.


Once in desired container, cover and refrigerate until set and ready to enjoy on Thanksgiving!

For more Thanksgiving inspiration, check out the rest of our Countdown to Thanksgiving posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment