Pages - Menu

Friday, November 22, 2013

Countdown to Thanksgiving - Give Thanks Banner Craft

Donald and I are pretty excited about our first Thanksgiving as clean eaters and as bloggers! We decided that we wanted to do a count down to Thanksgiving. That means every day for the next week we will be posting a Thanksgiving themed blog post! It will vary between crafts, recipes, and ways to incorporate clean eating into your traditional Thanksgiving fare.


We're kicking off with a simple craft to liven up your dining room! I'm sure some of you already have beautifully decorated dining rooms, but I'm certainly not one of them. My poor walls are bare and in desperate need of some love. When we moved to Nevada last year, we downsized majorly and got rid of almost all of our stuff to cut down on moving costs. That meant we had a whole house to furnish when we moved into our own place in August. We picked things like couches instead of art for the walls (necessities, you know ;) So as I planned my Thanksgiving menu and started thinking about how I wanted to decorate my table, I realized that my walls needed some kind of spice!

I searched through Pinterest, but didn't see anything that particularly struck my fancy. So I came up with something of my own. I had made this kind of flag banner for a baby shower and knew how cute they looked. This time I wanted to add letters and do it in a Fall colored them however. I did a quick trip to Michael's and was very happy that everything I wanted was on sale.

(By the way, I'm sure you will noticed the lovely green carpet in several of these pictures. Yeah. That's the color of my carpet. >_<)


What you need:

Scrapbook Paper
Stick-on Letters or Letter Stencil
Tape or Glue Dots
String
Scissors
Ruler
Pen/Pencil


I started by drawing a triangle with the ruler to figure out what size I wanted. I decided on 6 inches for each of the long sides.

Draw and cut out the model triangle from a piece of scratch paper.

Then flip over the scrapbook paper to the back side and trace the triangle on to it. I was able to get about 6 triangles out of each 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper.

After the triangles were cut out, I attached the stick on letters. I decided to have my banner say, "Give Thanks."

Lay out the triangles in the order you wanted them, then keeping in that order, flip upside down. I did two banners; one that said "Give" and the other saying "Thanks!"

Once the triangles are laid out upside down, run your string along the top of each and tape in place. I had glue dots left over from a project, so I used a combination of glue dots and tape.


And with that, your done. All that's left is to hang it up on your wall. I just tied it to some thumb tacks to hang it.


My dining room is not the most well-lit place, so it made it hard to get a good picture. But I guarantee, it looks awesome in person! I put a little leaf wreath below it to add a little more interest to the huge wall it's hanging on.

I hope this provides you with some crafty Thanksgiving inspiration! Please check back tomorrow for a very unique Thanksgiving recipe as we continue our Countdown to Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment