Pages - Menu

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mac n' Cheese with Sweet Potato Noodles

First off, let me just say, this is one of those things that just does not photograph well. I tried several different angles and no matter what, it just looked like gloppy orange stuff in a bowl. The photo definitely does not do this justice! It's definitely worth the taste test!


This recipe was invented out of the need for a quick dinner, one which did not use grains. Donald and I haven't cut out grains completely, but we're trying to greatly decrease how many we're ingesting. Our weightloss progress seems to pick up drastically anytime we greatly decrease our grain intake. As I stood in my kitchen tonight, with this fact fresh on my mind, I struggled to think of something quick. Pasta sounded wonderful and I was desperately trying to resist. We've also been upping our intake of raw cheeses and I wanted to incorporate that into our dinner. I knew people had used zucchini as noodles, but did not have any on hand. So I tried to think of what vegetables I had on hand that could be used as noodles. That's when I thought of it. Sweet potatoes.

What you need:

1 small-medium Sweet Potato
1/2 C of Half & Half
Some of your favorite all natural/organic Sausage (we used 2 chicken apple sausages)
Scant 1/4 C of your favorite Cheese (I used raw cheddar and  raw pecorino romano)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Peeler
Sauce Pan
Medium Fry Pan

Fill sauce pan with water and put on to boil.

Chop up your sausage into bite sized rounds. Pour the half & half into fry pan and turn on medium low. Add sausage to the pan with the half & half.

Peel the sweet potato. Once peeled, take the peeler and use it to cut strips of sweet potato. These are your noodles.

Once boiling, add the sweet potato noodles to the water. Cook for 2-4 minutes, until the noodles can easily be bitten through.

Drain the noodles and put aside.

Once sausage is heated through, remove it from the half & half, which will have reduced some. Turn the heat off of the fry pan.

Shred or cut cheese into small chunks. Add to warm half & half. Stir until cheese has mostly melted. Salt and pepper to taste. If you're using raw cheese, its important to keep the heat very low/off during this step so that it will retain it's healthy raw properties.

Once cheese has melted, add in noodles and toss with cheese mixture. Then add in the sausage and toss again. And that's it, you're ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment